The most wonderful time of the year is here—summer. As temperatures rise we all want that bronzy glow, but at what cost? Sun damage can wreak havoc on your skin as well as cause terminal illnesses. Playing it safe is your best option when it comes to the sun. Below are five easy summer skin tips that will help keep your skin protected while still achieving sun goddess (or sun god) status.
- Just add SPF – Everyone should know by now that sunscreen is must, especially in the summer months. Experts recommend that you apply sunscreen immediately after drying off from the shower and let soak in for 15 minutes prior to heading outdoors.
- Stock up on antioxidants – Foods rich in antioxidants help your skin fight again sun damage. In the summer months go to town on foods like kale, tomatoes, melons, strawberries AND red wine!
- Grab your hat – Not just a baseball one either. Wide brim hats help block the sun from all angles of your face and BONUS they are totally fashionable.
- Mist yourself – Keep a mist in your cooler to spray your face and body with while on the beach. Cosmetician, Ole Henriksen, suggests the African Red Tea Face Mist. It is filled with antioxidants and helps cool your body down.
- Take a cold shower – Hot showers after sun exposure only dry the skin even further. A cool shower after being in the heat helps prevent breakouts and brightens skin tone.